Being a vegan in Singapore is just pure heaven, you can find lots of great options anywhere.
In December 2016 Peta named Singapore the second most friendly vegan city in Asia, so that should mean something 😀
Singapore’s food combine Chinese, Malay, Indian, Western influences, Japanese and Thai, and is rich in vegetarian options. For me the best places were the hawker centres (food-courts), they are easy to find and have a bit of everything from fruit juices, smoothies made with local and exotic fruit, desserts, pure vegan meals and even raw vegan. You will be able to taste all cuisines,from 4$-12$ per meal. You can also look for Indian and vegetarian Chinese restaurantes often serving up amazing vegan options.
I you eat in a non-vegetarian restaurante be aware that dishes that appear vegetarian on the menu may contain oyster sauce, salted fish, etc. just check with the staff first.
Here are some places that I recommend for having great delicious and affordable food. Remember that healthy dishes that require a lot of efforts and innovation often come with large bills 🙂
- Circuit Road Food Centre has many vegetarian food stalls here you can try the vegan versions of local dishes such as tahu goreng, satay, briyani rice, nasi lemak (coconut rice), hor fun, chicken rice, laksa, etc.
- Fortune Centre at Bugis has many great vegan eateries and more options outside the center.
- Redhill Market and Food Centre – vegetarian cuisine is popular at this food centre, try the Bee Hoon with mock Char Siew from the Ru Yi Yuan Vegetarian Food.
- Kim San Leng Food Centre
- Bendemeer Market and Food Centre
(many veg food stalls tend to be closed on Monday)
restaurants / eateries:
- Gokul Vegetarian Restaurant (Little India) has a very extensive menu (about 400 items of which three-quarters are listed as vegan) and you can sample Indian, Chinese, international and local dishes and desserts all under one roof.
- Divine Realm Vegetarian Restaurant – Chinese vegetarian
- Nature Vegetarian Delights – Chinese vegetarian restaurant
- Xing Hua Vegetarian Restaurant. It’s a Chinese restaurant serving mainly mock-meats
- Yi xin vegetarian – the best in china town
- Zen Fut Sai Kai Vegetarian Restaurant
- Genesis vegan Restaurant
- Vegandeli SG
- Green Leaf Cafe – Little India.
- Veggie King International Buffet
- Steamboat Restaurant for international, regional (Japanese, Korean, Thai) and local buffet dishes which include desserts.
- Fill-a-Pita -Middle Eastern vegetarian food.
- vegetarians from West-side: Hua Jin Vegetarian Family Restaurant and Tanaka Vegetarian Food
- Japanese vegetarian food (a bit pricey) Bespoke Japanese Vegetarian Dining and Herbivore
- For vegan burgers you have: Vegan Burg and the nomVnom
- Buddha Tooth Relic Temple , the Singapore Buddhist Lodge and the Kong Meng San Phor Kark See Monastery serve vegetarian food.
Tips: Keep an eye out for the Singapore Food Festival, held every year in July.
photography – all rights reserved – Ana Rocha
🚌 Tips of how to travel in Singapore on a budget 🚌